Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

This is one of many pumpkin recipes I have and will be trying over the holidays. I somehow ended up with multiple cans of pumpkin in my pantry and am trying to use them up on something other than pumpkin pie, although we do love our pumpkin pie in the Mawer household. I came across this recipe on a fellow blog and tried them yesterday and found them to be pretty good! They are pretty healthy, all things considered. And of course if there is chocolate in it, I will eat it:)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars    adapted from Two Peas in a Pod recipe



Ingredients:
-3 1/4 cups rolled oats ( I used half quick cooking, half old fashioned oats)
-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
-1/4 cup applesauce
-1/4 cup honey
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
 
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together oats, spices, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Add oat mixture and beat until oats are completely coated. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Press oat mixture into the prepared pan, using a spatula to spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before cutting into bars and cooling completely.


As you can see, even my sneaky boy loved them! Try this healthier homemade granola bar recipe and enjoy!!

1 comment: